A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Monday, June 6, 2011

June 5, 44 Years and a Day Later

Back in 2009 in my first year of blogging I commented on June 5, the outbreak of the 1967 War. Last year I was stuck in a hospital bed a couple of days after breaking my hip and only a day after surgery, and so I was brief. Unsurprisingly, we have had many occasions to discuss the war which produced so many of the issues we have been wrestling with ever since. Today is June 6, not 5, due to the fifth falling on a weekend. But the recent flap between Obama and Netanyahu over borders are a reminder of the persistence of the issues produced in those six days in June 44 years ago, and the continuing occupation all remind us of the enduring symbolism, for Israelis and Palestinians both, of the Fifth of June.

No comments: