A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Saturday, January 8, 2011

One Last Thing for the Weekend: We Are All Egyptians

I know the Weekend Historical Video is already up, but here's one last thing I just saw. I'm not clear on the origin but the link is here, and here's the picture:
The caption is "We are all Egyptians." The pictures, obviously of the same man in various garb and makeup (or really good Photoshop skills), range from fellah to businessman to intellectual to salafi to Coptic priest, etc. It seems an appropriate image after so many Muslims turned out to protect Coptic churches by attending midnight mass and even providing human shields for the churches. Egypt may have a lot of problems, but its people aren't one of them. Misr Umm al-Dunya.

UPDATED:
Commenter Rashad notes: "This is from an exhibit currently up at the art gallery Darb 1718 near Coptic Cairo. Not sure of the artist off the top of my head."

I'd like to credit the artist if anyone knows.

2 comments:

Rashad said...

This is from an exhibit currently up at the art gallery Darb 1718 near Coptic Cairo. Not sure of the artist off the top of my head.

Michael Collins Dunn said...

Rashad:

Thanks. If anyone knows the artist I'd like to give credit.