A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Shorter Weekend Roundup

Since I'm on vacation and blogging sporadically, my usual Friday afternoon weekend reading post didn't occur. It's now late Friday night mountain time so this will probably show a post time of early am Saturday eastern time, and I won't try to be comprehensive. A few notes and comments and a link or two:
  • Egyptian blogger Wa'el ‘Abbas, detained at Cairo airport a month ago, just was detained again, with his memory cards and other data seized. I'd e-mailed him to ask for an interview and he never replied. Now I fully understand why.
It for now. If I have more over the weekend I'll post. By next Wednesday things should be back to a normal pace.

3 comments:

RT said...

Kenneth Pollack as an unbiased commentator on the ME?

Michael Collins Dunn said...

RT: These little bibliographical roundups are just to alert people to the existence of reports etc. They are intended neither to endorse the contents nor claim the authors are unbiased. Are any of us?

Michael Collins Dunn said...

Let me add to my previous response that while I certainly disagree with Ken Pollack on a number of issues, I know him and have published him and respect his work. There are plenty of hacks in this business, but Ken isn't one of them. We may have different perspectives on a lot of things, but he has a lot of real hands-on knowledge of certain things, especially in the military realm.