A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

New Site on Arabic Dialects and Slang Terms

Via Arabic Media Shack and an article in The National, I learn of a website with a new, online dictionary of Arabic dialect and slang, called mo3jam.com. The site is called mu‘jam (معجم), the traditional word for lexicon. There's also an English language homepage, here, though most of the user-contributed entries are in Arabic, and I suspect that the site won't be of much interest to those who don't know at least some Arabic.

Since I've previously posted on diglossia and the differences in Arabic dialects, and I know some of my readers have an interest in the subject, let me say that the site is worth a look. It has separate listings for different dialects. I'm just beginning to explore it and will note any interesting entries.

No comments: