A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Marc Lynch's Tour de Force

Readers of the Middle East blogosphere probably know this already, but since it's provoking a lot of commentary I guess I should say something, though I'm really feeling like an old codger on this one. Lynch did an extended interpretation of the feud between rappers Jay-Z and the Game as applied to the debate over American global primacy, with a fair number of IR comparisons. It has to be seen to be appreciated, (the language is mostly asterisked out but is strong). Today he has a roundup of reactions.

It's certainly an extended tour de force. Not being up to date on the rap scene (I still miss Elvis and my daughter is in a Jonas Brothers phase), I must defer to those better attuned to the age. But bravo, I think.

No comments: